Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hero Sketch

A hero can mean many different things to different people. To me the definition of a hero is my mom, Rhea Ann Simpson. My mom is the nursing lead (the supervisor of all the nurses in urgent care at SDSU, also a nurse).

“Ok, who’s here?” My mom says as she arrives at work, tired as usual.

“We have two nurses missing in the screening room,” said one of her coworkers.

“Ok well I will fill in for them when I’m done in my office,” she said disappointed as usual that people were absent.

When she was finally done in her office she walked out and saw the patient that she had to screen. He was coughing the whole time he was there and was pale as a ghost, it smelled of death.

“So what’s wrong?” she said already inspecting the patient, going through every procedure like she had done it a million times before (and she has). “Fever and tensed muscles,” she thought to herself.

“Well,” said the patient, “ I have a sore throat, I’ve been coughing up a storm, and my muscles have been tensing quite a bit.” My mom made a slight grin then quickly put it away.

“Do you have asthma?” My mom said like his life depended on it.

“No.”

“Ok,” said my mom, almost looking disappointed. “looks like you’ve got the flu.”

“ But not the swine flu right?” said the patient with fear in his eyes.

“ No,” said my mom feeling guilty “ fluids and rest ok?” she said in a very motherly tone

“Ok thank you nurse.” Said the patient as he left the door.

“Ugh.” grunted my mom as she walked into a hallway where all the nurses were. ”We have another case of swine flu.”

“Wow, did you tell him?” asked one of the nurses for some reason surprised.

“ About 99 percent of the people we screen for the flu have it,” She said, without a hint of sarcasm or humor in her voice. “ I f we told all the students they had swine flu, there would be mass hysteria on the campus, and we cant let that happen. Besides it’s just as easily treatable as the regular flu, we have to keep that from happening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment